Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Hamptons Lane - Summer Picnic

I am definitely a subscription box addict. I will try almost anything once (or twice!). Who wouldn't love a box of surprise goodies arriving at their doorstep each month (or several times a month). It is like Christmas year-round! YAY! However, with addiction comes trouble - of course. At some point you have to reduce the number of boxes if only to rescue the slow burn on your wallet or your husband *wink*. I purchased Hamptons Lane once for some homemade pasta making equipment - I have always wanted to make my own pasta so it fit a "bucket list" thing for me. (Just don't ask me if I have actually made that pasta - don't ask.) Now for the trouble. I *thought* I had cancelled this subscription (it is a fun indulgence once in awhile for me - just not every month), but apparently I hadn't and magically (or not) I received a box at my door this month for their picnic theme. Ooops! My husband rolled his eyes, but surprisingly didn't say a word. BONUS!

So quick overview from their site: "Curated artisan ingredients, handy kitchen tools, with unique recipes delivered in a monthly themed box." This is spot on and each month has been pretty interesting. Two important things to note - the price is $47 a month AND you can skip any month you are not interested in (IF you remember, that is).


The theme this month (May 2015) is Summer Picnic. A pamphlet is included that provides details on each of the items included in the box/theme. They will also include recipes and beautiful inspirational photos that pertain to some of the items provided, as well as, just for the theme of the month.



HoneyPax Tupelo Honey
"Say hello to the Queen of Honeys: the light, smooth, and buttery 100% raw Tupelo Honey, delivered in easy, no-fuss, single-serving to-go packs. Tupelo Honey is considered the finest in the world, so smooth it doesn’t crystallize and harvested only during a short period of time in a river basin nestled between North Florida and South Georgia. Award-winning HoneyPax Tupelo Honey is perfectly sized for a cheese platter on a picnic – each packet like a dose of sunshine, a taste of spring."
     I have heard/read about Tupelo Honey, but I have never tried it and I am excited to because we are definite honey lovers here. Our preference is wild flower honey over most others, but I purchase lots of different ones to try and look forward to putting some in my tea. I love the size of these packets and I would like to purchase more this size vs. always having bottles. Plus I think these are perfect for travel. I like to have a quiet cup of tea in my room when I am traveling and this is the perfect thing to have in my bag for just those occasions. It can be purchased for $11.50 for 10 packets - but is currently sold out on the link their site provides.

Olivewood Stainless Steel Knife and Leather Sleeve
"Designed and crafted exclusively for Hamptons Lane by famed knife-maker David Pallares of Pallares-Solsona in Spain, this perfectly sized picnic knife is fashioned from the finest olivewood and stainless steel for a functional knife with a beautiful finish. It’s size and lightweight design offer the versatility that you need at a picnic, while the stainless steel blade is sharp enough to cut through cheeses, meats, breads, and fruits, and will not rust while you are on the go. Each piece is hand stamped on the handle and blade with the iconic Pallares-Solsona mark, and fits perfectly into the protective Hamptons Lane leather sheath."
     The knife is great! Very sharp, perfect size and has a beautiful handle. I am not at all thrilled that that is was just "thrown" in the box and there for the leather cover is badly bent. Seems silly to be annoyed by this, but I am. It would have been more appreciated if they took the time to actually wrap it and protect it vs. just dropping it in there. I can see using this knife in my house, as well as, packing it in our picnic basket. It is the perfect size for many things and it is comfortable in the hand. I really, REALLY like it!

Mustard & Co. Organic Garlic Dill Mustard
"This is the PB and J of mustards. That is, Garlic and Dill were just made for each other. Alone they're great, but together they are out of this world. Use this raw mustard to add some kick to chicken salad, or even take a Smoked Salmon Egg Salad Tartine from basic to mind-blowing. Aside from its bold flavor, we especially Mustard & Co. it for is local ingredients (like from our friends at Jacobsen Salt Co.!), and their traditional technique for minimally processed mustard to preserve the horseradish-like spiciness, ensuring a raw, organic, real mustard flavor with each taste."
     Mustard is the preferred condiment in our house. It is a healthy choice for sandwiches, salad dressings and burritos - yes, burritos! Don't argue, just try it. This particular mustard is super thin and runny. Hmmm. Not sure how I like that. It is spicy, which we love, but that may not be everyone's cup of tea. While I do like the flavor, the clean ingredient list and it will definitely be used I am not sure it is something I would ever repurchase it. It comes in three packs for $21.


Jan’s Farmhouse Cranberry Pistachio Crisps
"Award-winning crispy crackers created by a lady who not only loves good food, but is passionate about food that is good for you. Jan’s Farmhouse Crisps are ultra-thin crispy crackers chock full of delicious ingredients like dried cranberries, flax seed, pistachios, sesame and pumpkin seeds. Jan and her team makes the crisps adored by folks like Martha Stewart for you to enjoy on their own, with gourmet cheese, dipped in hummus, slathered with Tupelo Honey, crumbled into salad, or as a crispy layer on a veggie sandwich. Just be careful: they are totally addictive."
     Yes and yes - they are TOTALLY addictive! Without any accoutrement I could go non-stop hand to mouth with these crisps! I love how paper thin they are. I feel like the cranberry flavor is prominent, but the combination of seeds and herbs make these crisps just awesome for me and perfect for any party, picnic or Wednesday afternoon just because. I will definitely repurchase these. Sadly, these seem to only be available in certain states and only in bulk online. Maybe I can get my family to split a small pack with me! The smallest I see is a half case (6 boxes) for $37.50 (~$6 ea.).

Bee's Wrap Sheets
"Already featured in places like Cooks Illustrated and Saveur, Bee's Wrap is nature’s answer to plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Made with organic cotton muslin, beeswax, jojoba oil, and tree resin, Bee’s Wrap harnesses the antibacterial properties of the beeswax and jojoba oil to help keep food fresh and allow you to use the sheets again and again. Wrap your picnic sandwich using the warmth of your hands to mold the Bee’s Wrap and create a seal that stiffens when it cools, holding its shape. Smells great, looks chic, and saves the planet – we love it!"
     This is an interesting item! I am looking forward to trying it out. I must have missed the issue of Cook's Illustrated that it was featured in (I am a little obsessed with that mag), I am going to go back through my issues and try and find it. I always feel guilty about using plastic wrap so it would be nice to find an alternative - though I am not sure how "affordable" this alternative would really bee (see what I did there? ok, that was bad). Their site is very helpful, I didn't realize you can hand-wash these and reuse them - how many times, unsure. Very cool - even more excited to try them now. A variety pack (S, M, L sizes) is $18.

While this was an accidental purchase, I am honestly thrilled about it. I think the box was well curated and that there is a good array of items for all the picnic lovers in us. I don't always look at "value" of what I spent vs. what I received on boxes such as this as their curatorial value is what matters to me and this one is spot on. I would definitely recommend this box - perfect for Spring or Summer or a gift - it would make a great gift paired with a couple of extras like cheese, cured meat and olives! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment